The Top Ten Things To Know About Qatar:
- The largest group of Christians in Qatar are migrant workers from countries like the Philippines, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
- Many of them live in labor camps. They work from the early morning to late at night, sometimes seven days a week. After work, they return to their labor camp where they eat and sleep.
- Christian fellowship inside labor camps is prohibited, and needs to be done in secret.
- According to International Monetary Fund, Qatar has the highest GDP per capita of any country in the world.
- The World Cup will be held in Qatar in 2022.
- The international news group Al Jazeera is based in Qatar.
- According to the Qatar Statistics Authority, the country has the highest literacy rate of any country in the Arab Speaking World.
- Should it become known that someone wants to convert to Christianity, the pressure from families or their peers will be severe.
- According to the US State Department, Qatar has a population of around 1.8 million people, however only 250,000 of these are citizens.
- Christians ask that we pray that the country will not only present itself like a moderate and modern country, but also show that it can be. Despite the rapid changes over the past decades and growth in wealth, their Islamic heritage and culture stands firm. There is no openness to other religions, which makes it difficult for foreign workers, let alone for local believers.
*Names, photographs and other information have been changed for security purposes