Photo: A Mosque in Brunei. Islam is the main religion of this tiny country.
Brunei is one of the smallest countries in the world. Many people are even unaware of its existence. See how much you know about this tiny Southeast Asian country. Did you know:
- Brunei Darussalam is a very small country on the Island of Borneo, bordering the much larger Malaysia.
- Brunei is an Islamic nation, based on an ideology called ‘Malay Islamic Monarchy’.
- By decree, contact with Christians in other countries, the import of Bibles and the public celebration of Christmas are banned.
- The government recognizes only three Catholic and three Anglican churches as official Christian churches in the country. The unregistered churches are considered “illegal sects” of Christianity by the government.
- The country has a total area of 5,765 sq km with a population of 415,717 (July 2013 est.)
Brunei is reportedly one of only two nations without public debts
Photo: The Sultan of Brunei- Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, who has been in power for 45 years
Information gathered from The World Factbook and World Watch List